December 15, 2011

Countdown to Christmas





I know, it's been awhile.  I have been extremely pre-occupied and not really spending much time in the kitchen at all.  But, I recognize that Christmas is right around the corner and I have put together my "candy" list for the items to be included in the gifts I give to my family.  I will highlight each one of these items within this next week :)  I don't have pictures of all of these things, but I can guarantee you that they have been tested and are extremely delicious!  The first item on my list is Toffee.  I grew up in a smallish town in Colorado, and there is a company called Enstrom Toffee that is located in that town.  I LOVED the toffee from Enstroms and up until this year, required Santa to put it in my stocking each year.  I've come up with a paleo version that I think is better than theirs.


Paleo Toffee
1 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup pastured unsalted butter, or coconut oil
1 cup palm sugar
2 TBSP water
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz dark chocolate
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Line a 9 inch square pan with tin foil, extending edges over sides of pan.  Sprinkle nuts evenly in a single layer in prepared pan.  Combine butter, sugar, water and salt in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly.  Continue boiling about 10 minutes or until sugar reaches hard crack stage on a candy thermometer (305 - 310 degrees F) stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Immediately pour over nuts in the pan. Cool completely.  Melt chocolate in a double boiler, or on 50% heat in the microwave.  Spread over the cooled toffee.  Sprinkle with coconut and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.  Remove toffee from the pan and chop up with a knife.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment